Friday, November 24, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

 There's lots to be said for such a day as the first of the winter holidays "Thanksgiving". All my family left town except for my 18 year old grandson. Let met tell you what a very special day we had yesterday. With all the family gone one would think it would be a dismal and lonely day. NOT!!!

My daughter had invited me to use her home to have and serve dinner for some of my friends. We all live in small apartments. It just so happened that the grandson was going to be home and was going to help with the meal. He may be just 18 but...he's quite the grandson and my husband's name sake. So...together we cared for the turkey in the manner of the Grandfather who enjoyed all our married life fixing the turkey and dressing, stuffing as some say. Chase provided the turkey and made sure it was thawed. I arrive with all the stuffing ingredients except for the major ones which I forgot at my place and had to return home to get. Isn't that what's suppose to happen?

I put all the ingredients in a very large iron skillet, mixed it all up and after the bird was rinsed out well and patted dry, stuffed the bird. Wrapped it in extra strong foil and in the oven it went. The grand was watching the time and thermometer. Company came and some helped in the kitchen while others watched White Christmas. Dinner was served...pretty much on time!

We sat down to turkey and stuffing, green beans, mashed garlic potatoes with bacon, cranberry jelled sauce, gravy, my favorite salad of cool whip, baby marsh mellows, pistachio instant pudding dry, pecans, and crushed pineapple, all mixed in a large bowl, and 7up with cranberry juice in a goblet and lots of pleasant remarks about the food and the day. Being the only male in the group Grace was said by Chase. Desert followed quickly which included, home made banana pudding, lemon pie with whipped cream, pumpkin squares and pecan pie with a different molasses take. 

It was a day filled with thanks for all and ended with take home containers filled, full tummies and hearts ready for that special nap. A truly thankful day for all of us.  I hope for you as well.

And now...?  Merry Christmas!

Judy here at zero dark thirty, the day after...and dishes to be washed! And Black Friday too. 'till next time. Happy December. From me and Milo.




No comments: